Sara H.'s Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: favorites, to-re-read-eventually
Read from April 26 to June 07, 2012

What is there to think after learning about something like this? It's a damn shame, that's all I can think. Chris McCandless is officially the most remarkable, amazing, inspiring person I have ever heard of. I was able to relate to him more than I thought I would.
I don't think anybody has the right to criticize or judge him for the decisions he made throughout his life. Anyone who does either doesn't understand life or is a coward. To get the most out of this tragic story, you'll need to open your mind first.
Chris lived simply, and he saw things simply. He dealt with things simply. And he died simply. Although incredibly sad, his death was beautiful because he faced it with a smile. He was strong and brave because he was happy. And he was happy because he lived simply and achieved everything he ever wanted to. And that's all that really matters in life.
Of course, maybe if he hadn't died, he would've gone on to do more amazing things. He would have shared his stories with the world, perhaps, and inspired people for more generations than he already has. But it shouldn't be a loss that he couldn't. He may have been selfish and stubborn, but he knew what made him happy, and he wouldn't let anybody stop him. And that's living.
There is no doubt that he should have been better equipped for his "great Alaskan odyssey," but I suppose everything happens for a reason. Chris McCandless didn't die for nothing. Countless people have probably learned from him. Now, of course, there are some of you that would say no one else should go around doing the things he did because it's careless and dangerous. But that's not it.
What you take from this story isn't motivation to go and get lost in some strange place without a map or a cell phone or money; of course not! What you take from it is an understanding of this messed up world and your role in it. It's not about what it was that Chris did or how "incompetent" he was, it's about the fact that he wanted to do something and he went out and did it. He was a wise man, though his life was fleeting. Maybe he didn't intend on becoming so well-known, maybe he didn't think he was a wise man. But that's how it is, and his wisdom is forever shared with the world.
He might not live on the earth that he once loved and learned from, but he lives in my heart and my head and will live there for a long time to come. And if I could, I would thank him.

Chris McCandless in a nutshell: Beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

Quotes Sara Liked

Jon Krakauer
“You are wrong if you think Joy emanates only or principally from human relationships. God has placed it all around us. It is in everything and anything we might experience. We just have to have the courage to turn against our habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living.”

Jon Krakauer
“So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”

Jon Krakauer
“We like companionship, see, but we can't stand to be around people for very long. So we go get ourselves lost, come back for a while, then get the hell out again.”

Jon Krakauer
“It is true that I miss intelligent companionship, but there are so few with whom I can share the things that mean so much to me that I have learned to contain myself. It is enough that I am surrounded with beauty...”

Jon Krakauer
“Chris would use the spiritual aspect to try to motivate us. "He'd tell us to think about all the evil in the world, all the hatred, and imagine ourselves running against the forces of darkness, the evil wall that was trying to keep us from running our best. He believed that doing well was all mental, a simple matter of harnessing whatever energy was available.”

Jon Krakauer
“Sometimes he tried too hard to make sense of the world, to figure out why people were bad to each other so often.”

Jon Krakauer
“HAPPINESS [is] ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED”

Jon Krakauer
“Some people feel like they don't deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past.”
tags: love

Jon Krakauer
“I read somewhere... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong... to measure yourself at least once.”

04/29/2012 page 15
05/02/2012 page 38
18.0% "The book isn't slow pace, but I'm reading slow because it's kind of like reading a really long (but exciting) newspaper article. Seriously though, I've been reading too slow lately. I haven't been grasping ideas as quickly as I used to."
05/16/2012 page 87
42.0% "This is taking me too long. Each page takes me around 5 minutes; this book is packed with info. I might as well start something else. It's really good so far, though."
05/23/2012 page 145
70.0% "so awesome"
05/29/2012 page 172
83.0% "I really don't want it to end."
06/06/2012 page 187
90.0% "Going to finish this tomorrow! :( One more chapter left."
show 2 hidden updates…