Kristen's Reviews > Uncle Tom's Cabin

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

Apr 07, 12

Read in April, 2012

Um...wow. I don't know why all these books I read lately happen to be religious, but Easter is the perfect timing!

I LOVED this book. It's crazy; I just gave a talk on benevolence (you hardly ever hear that word anwhere) and this word is used over twenty times in this book. Now that I understand better the exact meaning of benevolence, it actually made this book ten times better for me.

So many times in this book I found myself gasping in horror, or yelling in disbelief. Really??? And I thought I had bad luck. And then I found myself strangely wishing I had lived in this time period and had slaves, just so I could save them from the tyrannous slave owners and to be their friend. It's wonderful that Stowe poses the problems of both slavery and setting the slaves free. Which is worse, owning slaves and loving them and treating them well, or thinking slaves should be free, but not thinking of them as humans equal to yourself?

The other thing I love is the dynamic of people. You have the good, the bad, and the ugly -- and the mediocre people. People who try to be good, but there is some flaw that prevents them from acheiving their goal of perfect goodness. It's wonderful to see people change and morph to reach this higher state of goodness.

I love how the writing in this book completely transcends time. It's as if this could have been written yesterday. Harriet Beecher Stowe sometimes goes a little overboard with her devotion and admiration of the slaves, but after you read what they go through, you think yeah, go ahead with the cheese. In fact, load it on. It's well deserved. It seems many books written during this ime period seem to have this kind of strange air (I don't think I'm describing it well, but hopefully you know what I mean) but it was great.

Uncle Tom...wow. At the beginning, he is called Uncle Tom, a man who is extremely pious and devoted to goodness. But when you really think about it, his true piety is never put to the test. He has always had a wonderful master and has never had to question whether God really existed because his trials were never hard to bear. But when he belongs to Simon Legree...he's put through fire, probably the very fires of hell, and he comes out refined. A pure piece of golden piety that has unswerving devotion to God and goodness. Through this process, he was able to convert others and have his own beliefs grounded. I just love how Christ-like he is as he puts cotton in the baskets of weaker slaves. I love that when he is being whipped by Simon, he tells Simon he would give up every drop of blood if it meant saving Simon's life and turning him to God. But he would never denounce his Savior, or deny goodness. Through this purifying process, he is called "Father Tom." In the Bible, they always change people's names when they pass through refining experiences, and Tom, by going through his own process, has earned this new nickname.

One of my favorite lines in the book says that evil is only afraid of one thing, and that is perfect love. The perfect love of Christ. I love it, and I love the hope it gives.

I wish I could talk about this book with someone! What a perfect book for a book club. I won't write anything more, since no one probably reads these anyways, but I highly recommend this book. It makes you take a deeper look at your own life. It helps me understand why we are to go through hard times and expereince our own refining fires so we can know of a surety who we are and who God wants us to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncle Tom's Cabin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bay (new)

Bay I want to read it now!!

Kristen You should! And then we can talk about it, because I want to discuss it with someone so terribly bad! If you don't have school over the summer, you should definitely read it.