Carina's Reviews > Undertow

Undertow by Callie Kingston

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: ebooks-egalleys-etc-for-review, for-review, from-author, kindle
Read from May 31 to June 04, 2012

My Rating: 3.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Undertow turned out to be completely different from what I expected and from what other novels with mermaids I've read before are like. It's dark and a little bit heavy, but nonetheless captivating and hard to put down. While I had some problems connecting with the main character, I definitely enjoyed reading this novel and will definitely take a look at Callie's future novels.

More detailed:
While the most mermaid stories I've read so far were rather light-hearted, I think that this genre has the perfect premise to explore a darker side. But even with that thought in mind, Undertow is still completely different from what I might have expected. It doesn't really deal with the actual paranormal aspects, but with the reaction of a person who's faced with a world that's different - no longer "normal."

Marissa has not had the easiest life and even though it takes a while to get to know all of her family's darker moments, the fact that she has suffered is very obvious right from the beginning. She is a protagonist that I'm feeling incredibly sorry for - someone you just want to hug and tell them that everything will be all right again.

Sadly, despite my sympathy for her, I couldn't really connect with her. She's really moody and unpredictable and I couldn't help but wish for a more stable main character. But this is just a personal preference, because Marissa's mood swings and problems are the center of this story and without them it wouldn't be the same.

All in all, I definitely liked Undertow and, like I said above, I'm looking forward to more books by Callie Kingston. If you've been looking for a very unique New Adult novel, stop searching and pick up a copy of Undertow and let yourself be sucked into Marissa's story of searching for a truth that might or might not be there.

---

I received an eBook copy of this novel from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undertow.