Laura's Reviews > Warm Bodies

did not like it
bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from April 07 to 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** **SPOILER ALERT**

I so wanted to like this. I read the first half very quickly and enjoyed it; I was curious to see where it was going to go. I found it initially an interesting concept - zombie as not a mindless entity. It was a little confusing with Perry, but I did appreciate the idea that zombies crave and eat the brain at least in part to relive memories. That was a new twist, for sure. As soon as I realized where the author was going with the plot, though, I started to lose interest. I mean, I get that it is hard to come up with a new take on the zombie novel, and I am all in favor of peace, love and harmony, but the idea of love being the cure to the zombie plague just made me roll my eyes. I appreciate the theme of "if we took the time to understand our enemies, we could progress toward peace" but it just didn't work for me here.

Also, the whole, painfully obvious -Romeo & Juliet- thing made me want to retch. The zombie is "R(omeo)", the girl he is in love with is Julie(t), her previous boyfriend who R eats is Perry (Paris), and R's best friend is M(ecrutio). I mean, really, obvious much?

And what's with Julie being so forgiving of R killing Perry? He killed him and ate him and she just kinda shrugs it all off? The death of the first boy she ever loved? No no no. Perry winds up being portrayed as the monster when all he's trying to do is, hello? Survive in a zombie apocalypse!! And R, the *actual* monster, gets off easy because he falls in love. Right.

Zombie war ended by teenage love. Glowing yellow eyes after being infused by love. Zombie Jesus, anyone?

Failed zombie book, failed romance story. A disappointing finish for me, sad to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

04/11/2012 page 34
04/11/2012 page 35
15.0% "What if zombies aren't as empty-headed as we have always thought? What if some bits of humanity still hung in, despite it all? And can zombies fall in love? This is not as campy as it sounds -- so far, a good read."
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jesse (new) - added it

Jesse Kona I remember thinking the "Juliet on the Balcony" scene was a little on-the-nose, but I had missed all the other references. Thanks for pointing that out.

The homages didn't bother me as much, but I agree that beating the monsters with love is a tired cliché.

Kevin it wasn't as bad as you thought the idea that r changes into a human again is obviously stating that by feeling deep emotions brought him back to life, the idea that he finally found something to be able to feel alive again so It created the concept of change in a physical and psychological level. also Julie only forgave r because she felt as though perry was pretty much dead inside, he didn't care about much as people would think, she felt like it was something that was bound to happen, something she felt she couldn't prevent not because she couldn't but because the decision had been made already in perrys own mind, I mean of course perry didn't intentionally kill himself but he was numb inside, he may have been human but with the way he was in the end, he might as well have been turned into a bony because he lost all hope of being a human. zombies turning back into humans means change because they regained hope in their lives, I mean you know Im sure that the bonys were zombies that felt they had nothing to live for. although the romeo and Juliet concept sucks it still is more romantic then twilight or the original romeo and Juliet story. especially because of the way r acts, even if he had not been the zombie and they still kept the same ideals at first of not being physical until the end it would still show that he actually loved Julie.

Laura I'm glad you enjoyed it. That doesn't change how I feel about it. It was, to me, exactly as bad as I thought it was. That, you know, pretty much being the definition of "my opinion".

Brett Fenderson For the "love as a cure" angle, it makes sense if you pick up on the subtle commentary the book has going regarding human nature. You see it more at the end, when Julie's dad starts changing into a zombie. Humanity was overcome by this virus that made us emotionless because we did it to ourselves. We hardened our hearts and let darkness reign there. R was the first zombie to overcome that darkness and learn to be human again, the way humanity is meant to be. He chose to fight human nature instead of succumb to it.