Teresa's Reviews > Oracle Night

Oracle Night by Paul Auster

Aug 26, 2008

liked it
Read in August, 2008

Certainly not my favorite Auster, but not bad either. While well-written throughout (and written in a way to keep one reading), ultimately I felt the ending was disappointing, esp concerning how the character of Jacob was used to get Auster out of his own 'locked room' that quite a few of his characters in quite a few of his books find themselves in. I did enjoy it for the most part -- it just didn't live up to my favorites by him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oracle Night.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

One of the Saabye answers I did read in the paper was about repeating plot / themes. Someone asked why he has a piano drop in 2 books. Same as the death by discos ;-). And he just replied: authors do that. As we know from Irving and many others ;-). Auster does that in ON and BF ! There are several repeated "themes" but I am not underlining since you haven't read BF. But it is fun to catch them when I read the books this close in time. As with the water theme in JO's collection. The Morrall books had the same with dust and so on :). Today I saw that the movie SILK is out on DVD. Excited about this :) (some books it's ok to make movies about - they really should just check with me first ;-) !) but I want to reread the book first. Love cathrine.
PS: Thank you so much for the postcard(s) :-) !

Teresa I'm only about 40 pages into this novel, but already I see Auster's recurring themes and images -- most notably, the notebook. (A notebook is a big part of his trilogy as well.) Also in all: the concept of coincidence and the question of what is real, and the emphasis on story. I've found these and more in all his books, so am sure this one will be the same.

You're welcome!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

lack of speech (what this means between humans and for each human)
memory and identity
and just things like characters you can see that he later developed into other characters

Teresa The phone books and their caretaker brought to mind Saramago's "All the Names" - at least, initially. The issue and discussion of fatherhood and abortion is another of Auster's recurring themes, as is the locked room. I hope to be finished tonight.