GW's Reviews > Loving Summer

U_50x66
Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read on June 14, 2012

A really good contemporary book about love, family, and friends. I did like this book, but I found it way too strikingly similar to the The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han. Two boys from the same family loving the same girl - in this case, Summer.

But it's good in its own way. It's not just two boys chasing after Summer. There's 3 boys - Astor, Drew, and Nat. Astor's a famous young actor. Drew's the younger brother and twins with Rachel, who is also Summer's best friend. And Nat - he's the older brother that Summer's always had a crush on. Now, Drew, Nat, Summer, Rachel, and Aunt Sookie are reuniting 3 years later in Malibu. And Summer's turned pretty, lost the braces, etc. But Drew's a playboy, Nat has a girlfriend, and Rachel's still the same best friend. This is a summer that all of them will never forget - for so many reasons.

I loved all the characters, and I really don't know who I want to end up with Summer. In the end, we're left with a cliffhanger because Summer hasn't decided who the guy is. Even though at the end she's still going out with Astor, but I guess it's next summer we'll find out (more like February 2013!)...

We actually hear from Summer's POV and Drew's POV as well, and I think that might be a bit foreshadowing that Summer will end up with Drew in the next book! I loved seeing how much Drew's character changed, and he went from a playboy to a decent guy. Drew's chasing after Summer, and he wants to finally catch her. Awe, this whole story is just too cute.

I sorta hated/loved the epilogue. Pretty major spoiler here: (view spoiler) That was the first line in the epilogue, and it didn't have that much of an effect on me. I thought that I would have at least tears in my eyes or something - but nope. I think it's mainly because I didn't really connect with that character, and the author doesn't talk much about too much about her...
I really loved the letter the character included to Summer though, but I feel that it sorta will influence her decision about who to choose in the end. (view spoiler)

Loving Summer is a great summer read, and I wish I had 3 guys trying to win me over. *sighs* Now we're left wondering who the guy actually is in the cover... Personally I think it's Drew because (view spoiler) Foreshadowing? I don't know.

Anyways, I would definitely get your hands on this book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Loving Summer.