Cathy's Reviews > Falling For Gracie

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, reviewed
Read on April 07, 2012

More like 3.5 stars.

This was an enjoyable story about a woman named Gracie whose past is legendary, filled with borderline (ok, she was actually way on the wrong side of that border) psychotic and obsessive behavior of a 14 year girl for her 18 year old neighbor Riley. Even though Gracie had lost her father at the time, her antics caused her mother to send her away to live with an aunt and uncle, not welcoming her to come home over the next 14 years, except to help with her baby sister's wedding. Even though Gracie had made a name for herself in the wedding cake business, she realizes that a town doesn't forget so easily, nor did the object of her affections.

As anyone could imagine, being sent away from your family would cause some issues and require them to be addressed. The family members made we want to reach into the book and shake every last one of them. But, refreshingly enough to see, it didn't take long for Gracie to bristle and say, HEY! I don’t think so! She had a realistic amount of patience for them, insight to know she was family to people she didn't really know, and the confidence and strength to stand up to them at almost every turn.

Riley, like many emotionally wounded heroes, was closed off and took longer to warm up to. He was a complicated soul who was in need of dealing with his past rejections. Despite his flaws and walls, he was still a likable character.

This could have been a 5 star for me had it not been for a few factors. There were some excessive elements that detracted from the story. I understand that some creative license is needed but, there is only so much one can give before it touches on the ridiculous and I felt that these devices had no real purpose and could have easily been edited out of the storyline without harming the plot. It only added ends that were never tied up and left me frustrated. I understand that the author was attempting to round out the story, but, at that point, it was completely unnecessary.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling For Gracie.