Becky's Reviews > Irena Sendler And The Children Of The Warsaw Ghetto

Irena Sendler And The Children Of The Warsaw Ghetto by Susan Goldman Rubin

Apr 07, 12

Read in April, 2012

After watching The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler I was curious to learn more. I was happy to see that there was a picture book biography of her life. I was pleasantly surprised because I haven't found that many picture books set during that time period--World War II. The Holocaust isn't a subject that is easily taught or presented to young readers, the subject matter itself is difficult even for adults. (There are *some* great picture books out there, I know, I've read them. But there aren't as many books about the Holocaust as say farm animals or dinosaurs!) It was also nice to see a picture book biography about someone whose story is not widely known, someone whose story is worth telling. (Not that Anne Frank's story isn't worth knowing, but she does seem to be represented a lot.) I enjoyed this modest little picture book that painted the picture of a woman who did what she could, when she could, because it was right. To save Jews was the right thing to do, end of story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irena Sendler And The Children Of The Warsaw Ghetto.