Christy's Reviews > Sticky Faith: Everyday Ideas to Build Lasting Faith in Your Kids

Sticky Faith by Kara E. Powell

F 50x66
Nov 06, 12

This was a great book for parents of teens, youth workers and others who come in contact with teens through other ministries at church. It discusses studies done on what factors seem to divide those kids who stick with their convictions after high school and those who don't. Families play a huge role, which really encourages me to make my ministry to my own children a bigger priority. It also introduces many to the idea of inter-generational ministry and the fact that those kids who's faith sticks have a ratio of five adults investing in each one child, as opposed to the opposite ratio which we've pushed in youth ministry in the past. But, it's important that these five influences go beyond just youth staff. If kids are going to be able to stand on their own, they need to feel comfortable in "big people church", working alongside other adults serving, recieving care packages from adult Sunday school classes in college and building mentoring relationships with those of other generations. I'd heard a lot of this information in the past year, attending youth conferences, and during youth staff meetings but it was great to hear the research reinforcing it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sticky Faith.