Kyle's Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

M_50x66
It took me a grand total of 9 pages to realize that this book and I were not going to click, mesh, whatever, well together.

In that first chapter, the MC Kate Daniels, throws a knife at a vampire IN THE THROAT, she hits it, and it starts talking afterwards. Excuse me?

Then the random society names that were thrown at you, Kate's mentor, and that is too much in 9 pages. I'd prefer information like this spread out, and with REASON and EXPLANATION.

Also, Kate Daniels herself is a really flat, boring heroine. Where (I know, I use this series a lot whenever I've reviewed a book in this genre) MacKayla Lane from the Fever series was so full of life, bubbly, girly, and just plain FUN, Kate is like a rain cloud over a parade. She dampens everything, and no, it doesn't make it atmospheric.

Now, I normally don't make comments on another author's writing in terms of critisism since I would one day like to be an author, and said author whose writing I'm critizing could be better than mine, but I had a problem with this book.

The writing is so flat, and so boring, and so lacking in personality. You can't even tell it's a girl! There wouldn't have been anything defining saying "Yeah! THAT'S Kate Daniels!"

To the DNF shelf you go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.

04/11/2012 page 9
3.0% "I can already tell this won't be very good."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrea Wow. You're complaint is a character wasn't feminine enough?

message 2: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle Where did I ever state that the reason I didn't like Kate was because she wasn't feminine enough? I described MacKayla Lane from the Fever series, and one of her character traits was she was a stereotypical "girly-girl" yet she was still able to kick ass and defend herself.

Then I say that Kate is, "a rain cloud over a parade. She dampens everything". I meant she had no life to her, nothing that I could really like about her. She didn't have any existing personaly in my opinion.

The question of her being "feminine enough" was never brought into play. I can see why you might've thought I meant that, but that wasn't my intention, so I'm sorry for the confusion.