Book Twirps's Reviews > The Last Bastion of the Living

The Last Bastion of the Living by Rhiannon Frater

Jun 14, 2012

Read in June, 2012

Awesome. Amazing. Thrilling. Original. Unexpected.

The end.

What, you want more? Well, let’s see. I fell in love with Rhiannon’s As the World Dies trilogy. Like, seriously, In. Love. (I blame this all on Giselle from Xpressoreads by the way). I was so addicted to this series that, once I finished it, I immediately forced it down all of my friend’s throats.

When I found out Rhiannon had another zombie book coming out, I immediately jumped at the chance to participate in the tour. I was excited to see how she might possibly top the previous books. A lot of times I’ve noticed that when authors write about a subject (ie: zombies, vampires, etc) they tend to get stuck and just regurgitate their old stories, but that is so not the case here. Rhiannon took the standard zombie we all know and (most of us) love, shook it up, infused it with a whole lot of bad-assery, and made it even more terrifying.
In The Last Bastion of the Living, we meet Vanguard Maria Martinez, a soldier who’s fought long and hard to protect the citizens of the Bastion from the vicious Inferi Scourge (the zombies) that roam the land outside the city walls. She’s lost people close to her. She’s made a lot of sacrifices. She’s tired. She wants a new life. She’s awesome. I loved her. Let me just say that I wasn’t sure Rhiannon could top Jenny and Katie — they were two very strong women — but she did it with Maria. I loved everything about her. I felt her pain and her need to survive. I was with her 100%. That’s one thing about Rhiannon’s books — she “gets” her characters. They are so real, and you learn to care so much for them, that pretty soon you get to the point where she could put them in a tutu and make them dance the Macarena with a zombie and you’d be like, “Yeah, okay. Get it, girl. Finish that dance then kick that zombie’s ass.” Okay, so maybe that would be a little weird, but I’m pretty sure Rhiannon could pull it off and make us buy into it without so much as a blink of an eye.

The rest of the characters in this book are just as engaging. Each one of them has a purpose — some will have you cheering them on, and others will have you wanting to rip off their face. What I really enjoyed was the fresh take on the zombie virus. I won’t give anything away, I’ll just say that it was totally original and unexpected. I was definitely on my toes with this one.

And can we talk about the battle scenes? Holy intensity. Even when they weren’t fighting I was still on edge because I was just waiting for something to go wrong. Sheer brilliance I tell ya.

I could go on and on about this book, (see, you’re wishing I had stopped after the first sentence, aren’t you?) but I’ll let you check it out for yourself and see how awesome it is. You can thank me later.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Bastion of the Living.

06/02/2012 page 68
show 2 hidden updates…

Giselle I could totally see a tutu in Rhiannon's books! But the Macarena? So last year!!