Mikel Yonas's Reviews > Clicking Beat on the Brink of Nada

Clicking Beat on the Brink of Nada by Keith Hale

Apr 08, 12

Read from April 07 to 08, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clicking Beat on the Brink of Nada.

Mikel Yonas This surely is one of the better gay novels available on the market, but in no way is it a work of masterpiece. There are a few aspects of this work that bother me. I feel the author has over used metaphor in moments that should have been described in a simple, straightforward manner. Possibly I’m one of few who feel this way. The author appeared to be the most descriptive when discussing his personal philosophies. When he would describe the more romantic, sentimental moments there was a lot of random metaphorical tangents that would have served to read as more meaningful (for me anyway) if it were written more frankly. When sentimental scenes were occurring, the descriptions were vague, making the importance of such moments difficult to understand. Sometimes the main character would jump from having a lot of deep, analytical and philosophical thoughts, but then behave in a way that was dry or contradictory to the feelings that were described.

At the very least, the characters are interesting. The main character is highly reflective, asking serious philosophical questions and experiencing honest yearnings for his dear friend. I do agree with a review I read, who said that some of the authors and philosophers the main character was interested in; it seems unrealistic that a 17 year old would be reading such works. Unless the reader has knowledge of existential authors, or Buddhism in general, I doubt they would be able to understand the references made in the book. I also feel that most of these references could have been completely avoided and the story would not have lost any meaning.

I’m not very pleased with the plot. There are some rather dramatic scenes and occurrences to the characters that I feel were convenient topics for the author to include, thinking it would make the story clever or more interesting; however I wasn’t impressive (not to sound like a snob). It was an interesting story, I read it in a day, but I felt the better descriptions were given to the wrong places; making the story lack in romance that readers would have been looking for and attentive to the author’s personal Interests and beliefs. I would not say that this main character is tangible or would describe most teenagers. This character had a very unique story; rare and unlikely will it describe a common young man’s experience.

I particularly disliked the last chapter, which was a copy of the main character’s poetry. It was just overkill. The author incorporated some of the poetry of the main character throughout the book, which I could tolerate in smaller doses, but to dedicate an entire chapter to it was unnecessary. The poetry wasn’t even that deep; it simply recaptured the entire story again using some metaphors as well as literal recaps; and yet it didn’t leave me with a sense of wonder.