Patricia Faye's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: at-home
Read from April 07 to 08, 2012 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.

Quotes Patricia Liked

Daniel Keyes
“Now I understand that one of the important reasons for going to college and getting an education is to learn that the things you've believed in all your life aren't true, and that nothing is what it appears to be.”

Daniel Keyes
“There are so many doors to open. I am impatient to begin."

--Charlie Gordan”

Daniel Keyes
“I don’t know what’s worse: to not know what you are and be happy, or to become what you’ve always wanted to be, and feel alone.”

Daniel Keyes
“That's the thing about human life--there is no control group, no way to ever know how any of us would have turned out if any variables had been changed.”

Daniel Keyes
“The path I choose through the maze makes me what I am. I am not only a thing, but also a way of being--one of many ways--and knowing the paths I have followed and the ones left to take will help me understand what I am becoming.”

Daniel Keyes
“A child may not know how to feed itself, or what to eat, yet it knows hunger.”

Daniel Keyes
“Even in the world of make-believe there have to be rules. The parts have to be consistent and belong together.”

Daniel Keyes
“Strange about learning; the farther I go the more I see that I never knew even existed. A short while ago I foolishly thought I could learn everything - all the knowledge in the world. Now I hope only to be able to know of its existence, and to understand one grain of it. Is there time?”

Daniel Keyes
“I’m “exceptional”- a democratic term used to avoid the damning labels of “gifted” and “deprived” (which used to mean “bright” and “retarded”) and as soon as “exceptional” begins to mean anything to anyone they’ll change it. The idea seems to be: use an expression as long as it doesn’t mean anything to anybody. “Exceptional” refers to both ends of the spectrum, so all my life I’ve been exceptional.”