b00k r3vi3ws's Reviews > The Breakaway

The Breakaway by Michelle D. Argyle

May 20, 2012

bookshelves: review-copy
Read from April 24 to 27, 2012

The plot begins with Naomi waking up and finding herself being held hostage and goes on to describe her life of over a year. Naomi comes from a family where her parents are distant and an abusive boyfriend. Her captors each have a different personality some very violent and some treat her well – at least better than her family and boyfriend. In such a situation, it is normal for her to fall for the ‘Stockholm Syndrome’.

First off, the theme/plot of the book is not very new to me. I have read a few fiction and non-fiction books on this and thus at times it was like ‘the same old story’ for me.

Having said that, the author has been able to handle the plot and portray the characters in a way that it managed to keep on reading ‘the same old story’. Naomi’s life and character, both, are something that will keep you engaged. At times I felt sad for her, especially when her ‘normal’ life was put up in front of us. Then again at times I felt like smacking her on the head for not making a run for it! She literally took me for a rollercoaster ride – bringing the extreme reactions from me. Even each of the abductors have their own back story that leads to the events off this book. So, you get not only to know the lead character, but actually ‘get to know’ all of them.

The author’s writing style is impeccable and I loved the way she has portrayed the relationships in the book is simply amazing. However in order to cover such a long span of time, weeks have been skipped in between and that actually is the only thing I did not like so much. Otherwise, Ms.Michelle has done an amazing job to keep me turning the pages and finish the book at one go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Breakaway.