Meghan's Reviews > The Winter of Our Discontent

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck

199350
Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: book-club, dmbc, american, kindle, own, favorites, classics, modern-classics
Recommended to Meghan by: Sera
Read from April 25 to May 06, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

It's a little difficult to put into words how this book made me feel. It's a short book so I thought I'd fly through it in a day or two. Instead, it took a couple of weeks to finish. It was not because I was overly busy or because my mind was drifting or that I was distracted by...ooh! shiny! It was mainly because Steinbeck put so many layers upon layers of depth and feeling into each of his superbly crafted sentences that I could have made baklava with them.

I found this story extremely timely considering today's economy and the fall of the financial industry (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, etc.). Perhaps in financial downturns, the world always seems the same. Other than the fact Ethan Allen Hawley didn't own a car or a tv, I would be hard pressed to not place him in a more contemporary setting. But this is not about the economy or people down-on-their-luck like you had in The Grapes of Wrath. This story was much more ordinary, every day, common. And the people populating this story were oh-so-ordinary, every day, common. They could be your aunt or cousin or next-door neighbor. They could be you or at least your parents. And I think that is where Steinbeck excels so excellently. He makes fictional characters so real you swear you know this story already because you know these people.

Temptation. Honor. Survival. Luck. Family. Progress. Faith. This story has it all.

I cannot recommend it enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter of Our Discontent.

04/28 page 35
12.0% ""I think my Mary will live much longer than I. She will have saved some of her life for later. Come to think of it, most women live longer than men.""
04/30 page 85
28.0% "I'm very much enjoying this, but for how short it is, I can't find a good rhythm. I think I prefer his longer works. But his words. The man knows how to combine words that punch you with truth."
05/03 page 161
53.0% "Woot! I'm to Part 2! This story is amazing. The words are so dense. The sentences are pregnant with meaning or symbolism. It's like swimming in molasses. But I have to say, it's also making me feel stupid for not having finished this tiny little story."
05/03 page 161
02/11 marked as: read

Robbie Bashore Nice review, Meghan. I'm glad you liked it.

Sera Yay! Great review.

message 3: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Fantastic! I've added it to my list.

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah You're such a Steinbeck convert now!! I LOVE IT!

Meghan Sarah wrote: "You're such a Steinbeck convert now!! I LOVE IT!"

Yeah, you all won me over. I won't deny it. :)

Sera Ha ha ha - score!