Susan W's Reviews > Toys

Toys by James Patterson

Apr 07, 12

Read in April, 2012

When I picked up this Patterson book I didn't even think twice about whether I wanted to read it -- of course I did. I read everything Patterson and his entourage writes except his juvenile scifi books. I didn't even read the description -- so positive was I that I would enjoy it. The title alone was intriguing.

Imagine my surprise, when I got a couple pages into the book and I realized that this was not your usual run of the mill murder thriller. About page 30 I nearly put the book down because I just don't like futuristic endeavors. I slogged through it however and my emphatic opinion is that it should have never been listed as an adult book. It was very juvenile, very simplistic and a 10 year old could read and understand it with little or no issue -- some of the plot however is better suited for teens.

The story was fell into place a bit too easily, a bit too pat and contrived. The most intriguing thing was that one of the Elite characters, Lizbeth, had violet hair. I was a tad intrigued by the creepy Jessica and Jacob dolls, however. I got a chuckle out of various descriptions regarding their equally creepy antics. In fact, as I write this, I chuckle.

I'll stick to his old standbys --- the murder club and his standalone thrillers. And you can bet that next time I'll read the dust jacket desrcription before purchasing/reading.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toys.

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I read one Patterson book years ago and I couldn't stand it so I've never picked up another one. Maybe I should give him a second try since you've liked most of his books. Which one is his best in your opinion? I don't even remember which one I read that I didn't like.

Susan W I think some of my favorites are Judge & Jury, The Postcard Killers, Lifeguard and Beach Road. I like most things he's written with Andrew Gross. All these books are standalones but I really like his Murder Club series too. Alex Cross I read but not with the regularity of the others.

Ginger Crampton I almost quit reading it because that kind of story is not my thing but it caught my interest. I needed to find out what was goibg on . I just about read it in one sitting. I liked it!!