Kiora's Reviews > Mastiff

Mastiff by Tamora Pierce

F_50x66
Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: could-have-been-better, poor-plot, fantasy, medieval-setting, page-turner
Read in January, 2011

I was a little bit disappointed with this final book in the Beka Cooper series. I liked it, but I didn’t love it like the previous books.

I had imagined a big thing coming up, where Rosto and Beka’s friendship would somehow be a problem. A love between the rogue and a law enforcer seems interesting and yet not fully explored in the previous two books.

This did not at all happen, though. All of our beloved characters stay in Corus while Beka run around in the forest with our suddenly not so good Tunstall and our oh so good Farmer. The search of a missing prince in the outskirts of Tortall is interesting, but I missed the life in the city as the Beka Cooper series still is the only one of Tamora Pierce, which explores that kind of environment.

It seems that this book would have worked better as a single novel rather than the end of a series as I do not think we have the almost necessary end where all the characters somehow play a significant part.

Beka seems a bit off, compared to the character we know her for. I think most of us were team Rosto in the beginning, but with him being almost non-existent, the new love interest soon takes over though a bit too suddenly for my taste.

The fact that Beka apparently was engaged to a man she didn’t really love, who is now dead, does not really do anything for the story either. The only thing it does is it fills Beka with guilt – a guilt the plot and the reader could live without.

Well despite the flaws, in the end it is Tamora Pierce’s lovely writing which makes this book likable and readable. But if you want the picture of Beka being with Rosto, I do not recommend reading Mastiff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastiff.