Wendi's Reviews > The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

Aug 21, 08

Recommended for: Sarah, Tina, Beth
Read in August, 2008

This is one of those books that you fall in love with immediately. From sentence one to the very last, it's a book that sticks with you.

It's made up of short stories, snapshots of main character's life. Even though the stories were quick I felt like I got this wonderful portrait of the character Jane.

We watch her grow up and coming into herself. She reminds me of a combination of my girl friends - from junior high right on up to my current gal pals - including my female friends that are my senior by a couple of decades. She has self doubt, she has confidence, she knows what she wants and she doesn't. She test the waters over and over again, but not in a whiney or annoying way. She rides the waves of life with such dignity. Jane is truly all of us, every woman.

The book is written so smartly, nothing is dumbed down for the readers, nor is it pretentious. It is what it is. It's plain and simple but deep and thick as well. The characters are three dimensional, flawed but lovely as well.

I might read more "chick lit" if chick lit was written this well!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing.