Ellen Isabella's Reviews > The Borrower

The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, book-about-books, realistic-fiction, kindle, e-book
Read from April 04 to 10, 2012

The Borrower has a very interesting premise that I found really attractive while reading the plot. After reading the book, I didn't find it that fascinating anymore. The story wasn't actually boring but it seemed quite plain for me. It was monotonous because I couldn't find any climax or dynamic in the story.

The story mostly told about the adventure of Lucy and Ian running from their lives. Not such an exciting adventure though. I was just wondering about their situation the whole time. There were actually many things they could do but they didn't do. Instead, there are too much references of Russian idealism, that I didn't really understand.

Usually I like a book that tells good details about the things that the characters feel or the situation that is happening. This book do tell many details but they are not so important to be told. Some details are even repeated again and again and again. That was a bit bothering for me.

Overall, I liked the idea of the story and I liked the ending. Everything is made clear by the end, no mysteries left. I also liked the fact that this book gives many references to other books since it is a story about a librarian and a boy who loves reading. One thing that I learned from The Borrower, "Reading can save everyone's life"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Borrower.