Meagan's Reviews > City of Thieves

City of Thieves by David Benioff

Aug 30, 08

liked it
bookshelves: russia, world-war-two, coming-of-age, attempted-to-read, 2008-reads
Read in August, 2008

I was really looking forward to this book being that it had great reviews and I am really interested in the Siege of Leningrad. Unfortunately for me it was just too crude and I stopped reading about 100 pages in. (I did want to know how everything turned out so I read the ending in order have a little resolution.) It was a fast, entertaining read with a lot of dark humor- those parts I did enjoy.

The other issue I had with it is that I had a hard time over looking the fact that he had his two main characters running through the streets, up stairs, jumping fences, fighting...it seemed a little inaccurate with the time period where over a million people died of starvation. How could they have the energy to be doing all of these things with no more food than the average person? I know it is fiction but that part was too hard for me to get over. This book could have been good but it was just a little too over the top for me in those couple of aspects.

I am still going to give it three stars since I thought it was interesting and would have finished it had it not been for the content.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Thieves.