Christy LoveOfBooks's Reviews > The Last Bastion of the Living

The Last Bastion of the Living by Rhiannon Frater

May 19, 12

bookshelves: arc-galley, read-in-2012
Read in May, 2012

I have to start by saying that I don’t like committing to do reviews for blog tours, because there’s been too many times where I didn’t care for the book and had to back out of the tour. However, when Rhiannon announced this tour for The Last Bastion of the Living, I had no qualms about doing a review since I’m so confident in her writing. The description of the book sounded badass, but admittedly, I knew there was the potential to go completely south with this type of story. After I read it, I still had the opportunity to back out of doing a review, but no way was I going to. Why? Because I have to tell you how incredibly kick-ass this book is!

The Last Bastion of the Living is set in the future, after the world succumbed to the infestation of creatures called Inferi Scourge (a.k.a. zombies). I’m not even going to mention how or why the infection occurred, because that’s one of the coolest parts of the book. I’m telling you, Rhiannon’s mind is a wonderful thing! The Bastion is literally the last city of the living, where people live safely behind high walls – packed in like sardines. Things are going downhill quick, though. Resources are dangerously low, they’re running out of ammunition and fuel to kill the Inferi Scourge, and the Inferi Scourge seem to be changing. The fate of the city lays in the hands of a very unique group of soldiers, including Vanguard Maria Martinez.

Maria Martinez is the main character, and I absolutely freaking loved her! She is one tough chick. It should be no surprise by now to most of you that I love female characters who are strong, independent, and can handle themselves, yet are smart and caring. Maria was a perfect mixture of all those things. Another important character is Dwayne, Maria’s “undercover lover.” He’s 25 years her senior and outranks her, but that doesn’t bother me in the least. In fact, I adored Dwayne. The two of them together are great, he has her back no matter what.

The book is seriously action packed right from the beginning. There are twists and turns, and plenty of those “oh snap” moments. I’m not even joking – Rhiannon takes you on an incredible ride that will leave you wow’d! Kick-ass characters and a kick-ass story – you couldn’t ask for more. I know people have already started hounding Rhiannon for a sequel, but I have mixed feelings on that. I love the ending of this book so much, that it almost doesn’t seem right to continue. At the same time, I crave more of these characters and this world. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the all mighty Frater will do.

Okay, so can you tell that I loved The Last Bastion of The Living? If not, let me make it very clear... I love this book! Should you read it? Abso-freaking-lutely!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Bastion of the Living.

05/15/2012 page 52
13.87% "#boutofbooks" 1 comment
05/16/2012 page 90
31.0% "Oh snap!"
05/19/2012 page 319
100.0% "Oh shit.."
05/19/2012 page 319
100.0% "Wait.. I'm not finished with the book. It says there are 375 pgs."