Haley's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Apr 07, 12

Read in January, 2009

I'm really surprised by some of the negative reviews. A couple people have said they think this book is poorly written. It's been a while since I read the book, but in my opinion, it is very finely crafted.

I remember being struck by how well Atwood was able to get information across without explicitly stating it- By that I mean, the rules/circumstances/coming about of the new regime were never directly stated, instead, we learn about it non-obtrusively,without having it waved directly in our faces, almost through a process of osmosis.

I think there is a difference between well-written novels meant exclusively for entertainment, and well-written books that have a specific intent/message. This book is a member of the latter group, and while it may not be as much fun to read (though I found this book to be very gripping), the message it bears (Abstractly, that we are not as far-off from a patriarchal society as we think we are) is still important.

I wasn't originally going to review this book, but after seeing the mixed reviews, I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.