QueenBee's Reviews > Lost in Infinity

Lost in Infinity by Travis Besecker

Apr 06, 2012

Recommended for: everyone
I own a copy , read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** I thought I knew what this book was going to be about. I was wrong. I was sucker punched. THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT SO GOOD! I loved it all the way to the last hundred pages, then as I thought I knew what was going on, the entire thing changed. Bait and switch. Sucker punch like a semi from out of no where. By the time I was done I started back on page 1.

The novel is disguised as an autobiography, but in actuality it is a fictional psychological thriller loosely based on the author's life.
The novel repeats passages and returns to the same events, and in some cases, repeats key phrases throughout, in an attempt to convey a feeling of deja vu for the reader. Each chapter begins with an aside or dream sequence detailing a relationship between the author and his childhood therapist. By the end of the novel this entire interaction is pieced back together and becomes the final piece to the puzzle.
The twist to the novel comes in the final Part, Deja Vu. It is here that the author reveals the intent of the book was to perpetuate a loop in time, thus creating an infinite paradox in the space-time continuum. By finishing the novel, the reader has done their part in renewing the cycle once more.

The narrative leaves the final decision up to the reader. It is never spelled out whether the book is fiction or reality. Because the novel is an autobiography and the main point the author conveys in the very beginning is there is no reality beyond what your own mind perceives, this is a moot point.
The prologue of the novel hints to this fact. Throughout the author is fixated on Rene Descartes and his philosophical notion of "I think therefore I am". Taking this into consideration, the reader is led to believe that the only real truth is that they have a conscience. The book itself is irrelevant.
Each reader is expected to come away from the novel with a different argument as to what the point was.

Because of the nature of the novel, each reader will have to formulate their own opinion of the book's theme.
What is the meaning of life? Some readers will see the novel as an exploration into the question of "What is the meaning of life?" and what does it mean to each of them.
Memoir of a man with schizophrenia Some readers will see the novel as an account of a paranoid schizophrenic. The novel will be seen as a journal following the narrator's battle with reality.
Fiction Novel about Time Travel Some readers will see the novel as a fresh take on time travel and nothing more.
Uneasy Feeling of Fear Some readers will be frightened by the concept as the book plays to their natural fear of the unknown. Some readers will identify with the narrator and see how the story mirrors their own lives and questions about reality, life and space. Some readers will feel as if the book was written specifically for them.

For me it was the last. I finished the book feeling sick to my stomach, my head swimming and my heart twisted in a fisherman's knot. The beauty of the book is how it sucks you in slowly like a drug dealer, giving you a taste for free, then getting you hooked right before he cuts you off on the last page. I really have no way of describing it. I loved it. I hated what it did to me, but I had to read it again.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in Infinity.

03/01 marked as: read