Naganika's Reviews > Dawn on a Distant Shore

Dawn on a Distant Shore by Sara Donati

Apr 06, 12

Read from April 04 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy

Well! The best thing I like about a good romance novel is - DETAIL! I like McNaught's for the same reason. All the characters are portrayed so thoroughly, emotions are whipped, situations are usually explained in such great detail and BAM..one of the lead characters makes a major decision and the plot takes a twist. Donati's are different here. Its an almost predictable plot, with not too wavering characters, steadfast in decisions and all of that. Its usually the situations that play a major role in her books. The first of this series 'Into the wilderness' was an absolute delight to read. It was a different angle in historical romance, had all the excitement of the 'Hunger games' and the whole idea was novel. But 'dawn on a Distant Shore' treaded on the familiar waters for any historical romance reader and lost its edge. It was long (believe me..nothing brings me more joy than long and detailed romance novels) and windy (thats where it lost its charm).

Personally, I believe the book could have been written in two parts. Until they find the babies on board and then another part about reaching Scotland and all of it. Also, it is nice to know a little about what the author wants to do with her sequels, this went overboard. There was just too much emphasis on Hannah's character and the main characters went drab with a little too much insipid romance thrown in without the actual preceding chemistry or reason. And that is the success mantra of romantic novels, isn't it? Romance with a reason and chemistry?

I ended up with a 3 star score for this otherwise 1.5/2 book because the effort the author put in making motherhood look interesting (atleast in the first half of the book).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn on a Distant Shore.