Rebekkila's Reviews > Unwind

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Apr 07, 2012

bookshelves: book-club, library-books, thrillers, young-adult
Recommended for: those who like dystopian novels, and right to life debate
Read from April 06 to 07, 2012

I don't think I liked teen books when I was a teen as much as I like them now. I am really into the teen dystopia books at this point I loved the hunger games and I have been waiting for Veronica Roth's "Divergent" to fall in to my lap.

Years into the future the pro life and pro choice factions went to war and the Bill of Life was the document that ends it. It basically says you can not abort until the child is 13 at that point you can have them unwound. Unwinding involves harvesting every bit of a body to replace organs, limbs, and so on in those who can afford them. You cannot be unwound after the age of 18.

Of course the books have three characters scheduled for unwinding under different circumstances and follows them as they meet up while running away and find sanctuary in a camp in the desert where they can hide out until they are 18. I loved each one of these characters. There are villians and patsies per usual and I don't feel like the characters were entirely original, but they functioned well for the author's purposes.

The book had some very disturbing moments, you get to go through one unwinding and it wasn't pretty. The book seemed very pro stem cell research and I got a pro choice vibe from the book. Maybe this is his version of a cautionary tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unwind.