Sarah's Reviews > Ten

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

Oct 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012, book-club
Read from October 24 to 25, 2012

Ten really reminded me of the Christopher Pike I obsessively read when I was 13. (For the record, my favorite was Die Softly--that was super creepy and now I kind of want to re-read it.) This is a retelling of Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, which is a really messed up story (and very much worth reading if you like horror/scary books) and Ten isn't as disturbed as the source material (particularly the ending); Ten also isn't faithful to the nursery rhyme like the original, though it does follow a pattern that's revealed later in the novel.

Honestly, there's not a lot of realism in Ten, but there's something fun about it regardless. The drama is totally amped up, the kids are kind of dumb (it's pretty easy to figure out what's happening, despite some pretty decent red herrings) and there are loads of lines I hope are intentionally drawn from teen slasher flicks.

(view spoiler)

Anyway, Ten is definitely creepy if you're in the mood for an old school teen slasher novel. Three stars is probably a bit generous, but it creeped me out, so it's one I'd recommend to someone looking for a scary read.

My book club's subversive pick for Oct.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten.

10/24/2012
11.0% "Unless you're writing about a mouse, Minnie is a bizarre character name."
10/25/2012
30.0% "This reminds me of the Christopher Pike books I read when I was 14."
10/26/2012
62.0% "Uhhhh... the body count is kind of high in this chapter. Also: I'm a total lightweight and completely freaked out."
10/26/2012
66.0% "This is not the time nor place for kissing, kids! Good grief! Think about the murderous psychopath!"
10/26/2012
80.0% "I really hope the lines from teen Slasher flicks are intentional. "There's someone inside the house!""
10/26/2012
89.0% "Life lesson: never trust a boy who wears skinny jeans."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Damali (new)

Damali Seeing this book makes me want to watch Harper's Island again. :)

Sarah That movie! I'd totally forgotten about it!

YoungRapunzel I always went for RL stine/Fear Street, but yeah this totally reminded me of a fear street novel. I like Ten just for the nostalgia factor, as weird as that sounds considering the book came out just a few months ago