Autumn Review's Reviews > The One

Jun 16, 12

bookshelves: arc, review
Read from June 10 to 11, 2012

My Take:
I'm going to go ahead and start by saying, CONGRATULATIONS HEATHER on your debut novel! I was fortunate to get a sneak peak at the book a while back and definitely liked what I read. I was highly anticipating the release of the final product. I must say, it blew my expectations out of the water. I really like dragon stories if done well. This one was. I fell for all of the characters.

I immediately liked Eveline. She's led a somewhat unusual life. Eveline has kaleidoscope eyes and streaks in her hair, so she's seen as somewhat of an outcast in school. On top of that, she's had to move around a bit. Therefore, she's never really made any close friends. All of that changes when she moves to Colorado. I loved the fact that she was different. She was her own person and wasn't intimidated by others. Eveline has a great sense of humor too.

Let's talk about the boys. We're first introduced to Liam. He's charming and attractive, but I liked him like a brother or friend. Chase, on the other hand, made my bones feel like liquid. He's Australian, tall, gorgeous, snarky, and nearly perfect. I felt like Chase matched Evy well. There was plenty of tension between the two. I couldn't wait until he kissed her. The build up drove me nuts (in a good way). Then there is Kieran. Ok, what's better than one hot guy in a book, TWO hot guys. Now, Kieran is supposed to be the enemy, but he feels drawn to Evy. I won't go into what happens or why, but let's just say that the feeling is mutual. I mean, how's a girl to decide??? For those of you who don't like love triangles, at this point, there is a purpose for both boys being in her life and you will like them both. So, I didn't feel sick about it. It's really hard to see who will be best for her in the end right now.

I want to briefly mention the supporting characters in the story. I loved them all. There is a purpose to each character. I loved Jenna's loyalty and heart. Kai was a perfect addition to the group. I knew when I met her that she was special. She has a great personality. She's smart, sensitive, and honest to a fault at times. I really look forward to seeing these characters grow into the story more.

As for the story....I felt the story was well thought out and developed nicely. I didn't find any loop holes in the story and was able to follow along easily. The ending was perfect. It leaves the reader wanting more. I really can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy. So I say again, well done Heather. I think you nailed it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One.

06/10/2012
26.0% "really good"
06/10/2012
46.0% "still really good"

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather SO glad you liked it! <3

Autumn Review Heather wrote: "SO glad you liked it! <3"
I really did! So, hurry up and start the next book!