Valerie's Reviews > The One

The One by Heather Self

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from July 07 to 08, 2012

Source: eBook copy from author in exchange for a fair and honest review

My Summary:

At seventeen and in her senior year of high school, Eveline should be enjoying her life. Not so much since this is her sixth school in four years as her parents have tried to keep them one step ahead of those that seek to kill her. What'd she ever do to them? Yeah, pretty much be born. She's the ONE or so her parents tell her. The one that supposed to fulfill an ancient prophecy to save her race by reopening a portal. Oh not the human race, her race - the kin. Add to that three hot boys that are ALL very interested in her and she may not survive her senior year.

My Thoughts:

4 1/2 stars - So many sexy boys in this one!

I so wasn't supposed to be reading this book. No I had a paperback I was working on for a review. It's all my son's fault. I got stuck waiting for him with no book! Aw but I had my phone and as I scrolled through the books on my kindle app, this one jumped right up and yelled READ ME. Well, who am I to ignore the plea of a book? So I downloaded it and sat reading and waiting. As it turns out, my son arrived way too quickly. Yep I was stuck in this book. We went home and I pretty much read the book over the next 12 hours or so, interrupted by family things but still.

If you follow me on twitter, you may have seen the many quotes that I shared from this one. Some fabulous one liners in this read. If you missed them, here they are.

“Who knew when we met her that she was going to be such a bossy bit of goods?”

“Somebody mention snarky comments and sarcasm? I’m so your girl!”

“As your fun fairy I want you to do more than survive. I’ll have to see what I can do about that.”

“Gorgeous Australian who speaks perfect French. I’m not dead people. That’s like hotness on a stick.”

I guess I've got a little snarky in me cause I loved all those. This book pulled me and I quickly devoured it. Love Evy. She's strong and well trained but the whole being the one thing is not really working for her. I really liked how she wasn't willing to just go along with things - she needed the details. And as she is facing her transition, her parents are finally give them to her. Which brings up the world building. Aliens. We are talking aliens here. That's not a common paranormal creature in YA. Short green and spooky just isn't sexy but these aliens have elemental powers and they are all kinds of sexy. Needless to say, this book has a great new twist on the popular elemental world.

Must talk about ALL the sexy hot boys this book has in it! Dang. There's the very protective Liam, the flirty Chase, and the mysterious Kieran <-------HOW can one book hold so many sexy guys???? The romance in this story is not the real focus but there's so much sexual tension between these characters that fanning is required while reading. When a kiss finally happened, I was like...um...dang! Was that the one I wanted to kiss her????? I have no idea which team I'm on. Need more time with one of these boys to figure him out and then I'll know. Which means, I NEED BOOK TWO - like 5 days ago!!!!!

So, yeah, I'm WAITING for the next one and I will for sure be picking it up as soon as I can. But, you know, these authors like to torture us readers just as much as their characters. Heather put up a teaser for book two and that so didn't help.

"He ran his hands up and down my arms, while resting his forehead on my own. In a choked voice he whispered, "I just...I can't tell you that yet, Evy. Please don't ask me to."

See what I mean???? Um....if you like the paranormal world in YA then this book MUST get read and soon!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One.