Kathy Russo's Reviews > The Book of Blood and Shadow

The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman

Apr 06, 12

Read in April, 2012

A YA Da Vinci Code

The premise for this book left me dying to get my hands on it. And it did not disappoint! After I had finished it, I was left in a book stupor, my mind going through everything that I had just read.

Many have already claimed that The Book of Blood and Shadow is like The Da Vinci Code and they are right! It’s well written, well-paced and there are no gaping holes in the logic that makes you stop for a moment and scratch your head. This is a dense book and takes time to read and absorb but the payoff is amazing. It takes a new look at old myths and guides the reader on a hunt through a different country.

The author has obviously done their research, because everything—from the mythology to the foreign languages—feels real, clear and right.

While the pacing is a bit on the slow side, there is never any moment of information dumping that threatens to overwhelm the reader. I like how the history is strewn perfectly with the narrative. I also liked how Wasserman also threw in some humor, and was able to pull it off, into the story, to lighten up from all the despair and death.

I loved the protagonist, Nora. She suffers throughout the course of the novel but she doesn't weaken under pressure. I felt that I was able to connect to her right away and feel all the grief and pain she went through throughout the whole journey.

There is a large cast of characters in The Book of Blood and Shadow, and Wasserman takes the time to develop each of them. Even the minor characters are great and fun to read about.

Nora’s voice is strong, relatable and her grief, while sincere, is not the kind that overwhelms you entirely; but even then she still sounds like a real teenage girl, so she isn’t going to be narrating in complicated or overly flowery prose.

Max is quiet and studious, the perfect boyfriend…but I disliked him the minute Nora says he quotes love poetry to her instead of saying his feelings in his own words. I dislike that Nora chooses to stay with him and trust him when there are clearly so many things he's not telling her even though he claims to be. I hate even more the fact that Nora makes excuses for him. Yeah……I just didn’t like him.

The Book of Blood and Shadow is an intelligent, on the whole, well-crafted story by a skilled writer. I highly recommend this book to fans of mystery. This isn’t solely for young adults, but for fans of all ages. The story is one that will appeal to all types of readers, not just young adult ones. The mysteries will drag you in and you will find yourself unable to put this book down until you unlock every one. It’s smart, complex, and interesting—especially if you’re into history.
The book did get a bit wordy in the middle of the book at some points, but not to the point where I lost interest.

I definitely couldn't set this book down. It was so exciting, and it really did keep me guessing until the end. I honestly wish that this was part of a series, rather than a stand-alone!! Truly Amazing.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Blood and Shadow.