Joshua Nomen-Mutatio's Reviews > Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for All and None

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

Sep 18, 2009

bookshelves: philosophy, fiction, religion, nietzsche, poetry
Recommended for: People That Have Already Read A Substantial Amount Of Nietzsche's Other Work
Read in April, 2005 — I own a copy

"Have you ever said Yes to a single joy? O my friends, then you have said Yes too to all woe. All things are entangled, ensnared, enamored; if ever you wanted one thing twice, if ever you said, "You please me, happiness! Abide moment!" then you wanted all back. All anew, all eternally, all entangled, ensnared, enamored--oh then you loved the world. Eternal ones, love it eternally and evermore; and to woe too, you say: go, but return! For all joy wants--eternity."

Someday I'm going to go through my Nietzsche reviews and write something substantial. For now I'll insert my favorite quotations every so often.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

Moira Russell I think this one's my favourite, altho Birth of Tragedy is also right up there.

Worthless Bum I think that this is one of the few of Nietzsche's books that I've read in full. "The Wacky Adventures of Zarathustra," as I sometimes like to think of it. I need to read more of his works. Nietzsche's works, not Zarathustra's.

message 3: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Sep 18, 2009 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Whenever people ask which of Nietzsche's books to start with I always stress not to begin with this one. I just know that if I had started here that a lot of it wouldn't have made much sense (or at least the type of sense that I think it should make). It's one giant allegory. Some at least cursory familiarity with the Bible would be fairly useful to have when approaching this book as well.

An overview of Nietzsche's corpus is really a sight to behold--following the trajectory from the scholarly philological work of The Birth of Tragedy to the the strange personal ruminations of Ecce Homo has been one of the more interesting things I've done as a philosophy student.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen What did you think of The Birth of Tragedy?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I liked it a lot. His earlier work is pretty interesting especially in light the stuff he's more well-known for, such as hard-hitting aphorisms, for one thing. But yes, I thought that The Birth of Tragedy was beautiful and truthful and thought-provoking.

One earlier essay I'd recommend to those interested in Nietzsche is one called "On the Use and Abuse of History" (which has been translated a few other ways, too). It can be found as published on its own and more commonly in a collection of four larger essays of his called Untimely Meditations.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen I will certainly check that out. Thanks! I came across The Birth of Tragedy in Aesthetics class. It was amazing.

message 7: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I am just beginning "Thus Spoke Zarathustra," which is also my first foray into the world of Nietzsche. Now, I am wondering if I should stop Zarathustra for the time being and begin with one of Nietzsche's other books. Thanks for the review MyFleshSingsOut!