Joshua Nomen-Mutatio's Reviews > On the Genealogy of Morals/Ecce Homo

On the Genealogy of Morals/Ecce Homo by Friedrich Nietzsche

May 04, 09

bookshelves: philosophy, history, religion, cultural-and-or-political, essays, ethics-and-or-metaethics, nietzsche
Read in April, 2005 — I own a copy

Here Nietzsche returns to the form of the essay after several complete works largely composed aphoristically. The second essay in the polemic On the Geneology of Morals is excellent and my personal favorite of the three essays that comprise this work. He discusses the historical tossings and turnings that have led to weird inversions of moral standards throughout the ages. The ways in which many eggs are often broken to make various omelettes and how the omelettes often turn out much differently than intended. Social psychology at its most fearless and polemicized.

Ecce Homo (tr. "Behold the man!" in reference to Pontius Pilate's presentation of Jesus to the blood thirsty crowd) is interesting as well. Nietzsche gives several short "reviews" of each of his own books written up until that time, some are a bit forgettable, some a bit more interesting. For a good example of official self-critique see his essay ("Attempt at Self-Criticism") about his first book The Birth of Tragedy which can be found in the intro to some copies of the same book.

The rest of this Beholding of the Man consists of four short chapters entitled "Why I Am So Wise", "Why I Am So Clever", "Why I Write Such Good Books", and "Why I Am a Destiny". These are probably best read as something written on the brink of insanity and steeped in deliberate irony and sarcasm--but not completely. I'll just admit that I had a hard time taking much of it all that seriously. For several pages Nietzsche goes on about his ideas concerning nutrition. He also equates drinking alcohol with subscribing to Christianity. It's a bit of a laugh riot from some angles but one that includes a series of doubtful and perplexed moments about from where or why the laughter comes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Genealogy of Morals/Ecce Homo.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor I can't remember the other bits of this - but I have read Ecce Homo and had much the same reaction to it you did. Mostly WTF?