Gemma's Reviews > Drink, Slay, Love

Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Apr 06, 12

Read in April, 2012

The anti-Twilight.

Sarah Beth Durst goes out of her way to ensure that her vampires do not sparkle, up to the point that her vampires make jokes about it. Yeah. If vampires were real, these would be the real deal. You see, they eat people. None of that sissy drinking-from-animals stuff that Twilight presented us. So many other writers have chosen to lower their vampires to such lameness; Durst has Pearl, our lovely narrator, murder a human as she drains every drop of blood in her body.

I am not sure how I feel about that. On one hand, I'm happy that our monsters are monsters. On the other hand... well, it was kind of an unpleasant thing to read about.

Anyhow...

Pearl gets stabbed by a unicorn and then gets the ability to walk in the daylight. They send her to a regular high school so she can befriend the mortals and invite them to her party so her vampire friends and family can, ah... I originally intended to search for a euphemism, but there's no way around it: eat them. Kill them.

It's handled very loosely, if that makes sense. This isn't a slasher movie; it's all done more jokingly than anything else. Durst doesn't spend a lot of time graphically describing vampire feeding sessions. She's laughing at them more than anything.

She's laughing at a lot of things: the warped patheticness of modern day vampires, nineties movies about high school, high school, prom, teenagers... Whether or not we're laughing with her or at her... that's where it gets tricky.

The writing wasn't anything great. It felt clunky, and kind of like a first novel, like she's still trying to get the flow of things. Seeing as she has previously written a few books, she should have had time to fine tune things a little.

Or... I don't know. Maybe that's just the character. Maybe part of it is due to the almost parody nature of this book...

It's either brilliance or ignorance. I can't figure it out.

So 3/5. If you like purposefully cheesy zombie books, you'll probably like this purposefully cheesy vampire book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drink, Slay, Love.