Elizabeth La Lettrice's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

May 22, 12

Recommended to Elizabeth La Lettrice by: karen brissette
Read in May, 2012

Oh poo. I had a quote marked in my book that I wanted to base my review off of but my book is at home. And I am at work. Not working. Too late to turn back now.

I had high expectations for this book. Here's the general idea of the story I had in mind when I decided to read it: Three woman are on trial for murder after being stuck on a lifeboat for days when their ship sank on a journey across the Atlantic.

Here's what I expected: psychological intrigue - [39] strangers picked to [survive in a boat]... to find out what happens... when people stop being polite... and start getting real.* I thought surely there would be some cannibalism.

Alas, no cannibalism.

What I liked most about this book: the image of a woman in petticoats sinking into the sea. What I liked least: the entirely monotone, unlikeable narrator.

Rogan writes well for this being her first book. It just didn't capture me as I'd expected.

*Upon a rereading of my review, I noticed I subconsciously quoted from karen's review of the same book. And now I feel silly. So I recommend reading her review since they are always much more entertaining than mine. And she has more positive things to say about this one. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.