Barbarac's Reviews > Plum Wine

Plum Wine by Angela Davis-Gardner

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: women-protagonists, japan

The heroine of this book is an American woman living in Japan. The story depicts her life there, her relationship with a Japanese woman who recently passed away, and her relationship with a common friend. I found the story related to the ritual of the plum wine, and passing of the histories from mothers to daughters very delicate and beautiful. I love traditions and learning about this one was marvelous. The heroine finds out about this tradition while through a gift the dead woman leaves her. While all the female characters in this book (even the dead ones) were warm, fully alive characters, with lives and histories, the main male character in this book, Seiji, left a lot to be desired. His character was a lot flatter, I found him impersonal and unlikeable. Unfortunately our heroine doesn't think so, even though from the beginning he seems almost rude to her. As the book progressed I disliked him even more...and then I started to dislike her for not seeing that this man was hiding a secret (one not hard to guess)and how badly the relationship was going to end.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plum Wine.