Amit Gupta's Reviews > The Moon and Sixpence

The Moon and Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham

Apr 06, 12

Read in April, 2012

I haven't yet come across a book that describes a man's propinquity to an animal more affectionately. The author and the reader partake in in an endeavor to decipher the ways of a one such single-minded and self centered genius, who uses other men and women as means to achieve the peak of his talent and his creativity.

Based loosely on the life of Paul Gauguin, Maugham is able to portray well the mind of this capricious genius whose sole aim in life is to paint. The narrative is gripping and the writing is impeccable. Through this book Maugham has been able to very succinctly dissect the intricacies of the emotions of both a man and a woman. The tone at times is matter-of-factly, but the thoughts have been expressed into words in such a charming way that the reader has no option but to believe in them.

If you've read 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus, you'll love this book. I know I've spoken hortatively, but such has been the impact of 'The Moon and Sixpence'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon and Sixpence.