Angie's Reviews > The French Lieutenant's Woman

The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles

Aug 20, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Angie by: my mum
Recommended for: robert
Read from June 01 to 20, 2012

The French Lieutenant's Woman had been on my tbr list for an age, came recommended by my Mum who sighs enigmatically every time she mentions it as one of her favourites. I think I put it off a little thinking it only as 'another great post-modern Victorian novel I will read one day' of which there are many....nothing could have prepared me for how much I adored this book.

Not only the best book for me this year but definitely in my top 20 list of all time.

I devoured John Fowles narrative and the manner in which he stops his story telling for a moment and speaks to me as his reader made me both laugh and rejoice for such a refreshing chance for reflection and consideration of the time and the place of his story (Lyme Regis in 1850's or thereabouts). Fowles is a witty and thoughtful storyteller and his style allows for full understanding of all the characters and their many faceted opinions and values, some a result of their time and some as a result of foresight, for this is a tale where a woman can hold up her head and be herself (eventually)in such an era before emancipation and the climax of this tale was a real pinnacle of a woman's liberation and triumph.

Fowles mischievously let his imagination run wild in many sections but one springs to mind in particular when he asks us to consider the eventual death and rise to the heavens of one of the hypocritical characters of the story (a pompous local woman of the landed gentry). It is the perfect illustration of his ability to 'park' the story for a moment and talk to us, amuse us and entertain with his wicked sense of humour and it made me laugh for ages.

This book was for me a revelation and a tonic and epitomises the wealth of English literature at its absolute finest. I now sigh along with my Mother....

Highly recommended as a top book of all time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The French Lieutenant's Woman.

06/02/2012
06/16/2012
77.0% "This book is amazing..."
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Angela I read this more years ago than I can remember, but your review has whetted my appetite for a re-read!

Angie Thanks Angela! It has certainly been a wonderful reading experience for mr and stands out from the crowd with its head held high. How are you enjoying Villette so far? I just finished it and will write a review soon! Cannot really fault C Bronte either! Take care.

Angela Angie wrote: "Thanks Angela! It has certainly been a wonderful reading experience for mr and stands out from the crowd with its head held high. How are you enjoying Villette so far? I just finished it and will w..."

Villette is going well, thank you. I don't know why I thought it was going to be a tricky read!

Diana Great review, Angie!

Angie Cheers Diana!