Suzanne's Reviews > Mudwoman

Mudwoman by Joyce Carol Oates

Apr 06, 12

Joyce Carol Oates is amazing. I've just finished Mudwoman and I'm breathless. I've been reading her books since the'70's. How does she reinvent herself in so many way? M. R. is not Ms. Oates; yet her protagonist's voice is so strong and pleasant and charismatic that I tended to mix them up as M. R. tended to confuse herself. How many of us retell our lives; if only I had done this or that. Perhaps he was threatening me or flirting with me...or ignoring me....he wasn't there.
As I came to the last page I still didn't know what happened. Where did she end up? Did she hit the hitchhiker ; did her lover come to M. R.; was there a hitchiker or a lover?When Merry- M. R. learned to drive her teacher said she was an excellant driver- like a man. I don't know how Ms. Oates drives- but when she writes ; what a ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mudwoman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gary the Bookworm I really like your review. I also thought this was a remarkable achievement. She continues to amaze me with her astounding imagination. M.R. Is an unforgettable character.

message 2: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Ms. Oakes is not only creative, but she is also able to creep into "our" subconsciouses our "alter egos", our imaginations. She thinks like a woman, a man , a child, a college professor and low lifes. Her description of life in the small towns of upstate New York were also finely drawn. The abject poverty and the quiet middle class share the foothills of the Adirondacks .

M. R.'s adoptive Quaker parents were very real as well. These parents acted with love in their hearts and no ill intentions. Yet did their attempt to replace their dead daughter with the "foundling" Jewell, Jedina burry and suffocate her as much as her birth mother did when she tossed the child into the swampy mud.