Hilary's Reviews > Heaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy

Heaven Is Here by Stephanie Nielson

Apr 08, 12

Read in April, 2012

I am redoing my review. My first review sounded like I was critiquing Stephanie rather than the book.

I loved reading her story. I check her blog occasionally so it wasn't really new to me, but I loved how she incorporated her church beliefs and eternal perspective into the telling. The book (first person) clearly told the pain, anguish, emotional upheavals, trials, etc. that she went through, and how she has made such and amazing recovery. I cried throughout as I imagined myself in her shoes.

The book is full of her appreciation for her wonderful husband, family, friends, and fans who held benefits and fundraisers for her family, and were able to buy her a house close to family to make recovery easier. She is aware of how lucky and blessed she is, which is fully portrayed in the book.

What would have made the book even better, in my opinion, is some mention of the thousands of other people who are severely burned each year who could use our help. Since posting my first review, someone named Sage commented and made me aware of the charity work Stephanie does in burn units. I would have liked to see some of that in the book. Maybe she wasn't well enough to do it yet as the book was being written and published. I don't know. I just think that many of us who read the book will wonder, "so what can we do to help now? We donated to Stephanie's care, now who or what can we donate to?"

I don't know how many people who have been severely burned have access to the well oiled machine of church, family, and well-known friends like Stephanie has both for financial aid and emotional support. I would have appreciated some direction in the book as to how to help other people get the same standard of care as she continues to have. Maybe they all do, I don't know. But I would like to know, and I wish the book would have addressed that. Or did I miss it?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Is Here.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sage She has visited other burn victims repeatedly and often calls for action when others she's aware of are in need. When people fault her for where she comes from it always feels like jealousy to me. Sure, I wish my family were as awesome as hers, but rather than lament I try to improve. She's an inspiration.

message 2: by Hilary (last edited Apr 07, 2012 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hilary See, I'm glad to hear that. I wish she would have mentioned those visits, etc in the book. I wouldn't fault her even if she didn't do that, I'm sure she still has so much recovery ahead of her.

I'm not reviewing or critiquing her, just the book. Although I will amend my review to take out the blog video references since they are not in the book.