Justin's Reviews > The Odyssey

The Odyssey by Gareth Hinds

May 12, 12

bookshelves: classics, graphic-novels
Read from April 06 to May 12, 2012

I was sent a free copy of this to review, and I'm not one to turn down free comic books. This one is hefty, and I have to admit that I didn't finish it. However, that didn't have anything to do with the quality of the work. It's just that I've read the Odyssey before, and I wasn't really in the mood to read it again.

In short, I was expecting this to be an abridged, flashy take on Homer's material, like many "graphic novel classics" tend to be. However, this is a remarkably faithful adaptation of the original. In many places, the panels are overwhelmed by huge blocks of text, as Odysseus or Telemachus embarks upon one of their long soliloquies. The artwork is stripped down, but it does the job nicely; there is a rough-hewn feeling of antiquity about the illustrations, and subtle perspective and color differences are used to great effect to vivdly highlight key points of the story.

Hinds arranges the story in the most optimal way for the format, but he was quite literal in his process of adaptation, as this reads more like a Greek epic than a comic book. That being said, it is a fantastic choice for a reader who wants or needs to read The Odyssey, but has trouble getting through his dense prose, since Hinds does a fantastic job in bringing the epic to life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Odyssey.