Kevin Carey-Infante's Reviews > Sykosa

Sykosa by Justin Ordoñez

Apr 06, 12

Recommended for: Mature Young Adults
Read from March 25 to 30, 2012

Goodbye vampires, wizards, charms, spells and blood. Hello teens with real-world problems, attitudes and strong opinions to match. Despite the teenage angst littered throughout Sykosa, it was a refreshing change from YA paranormal novels, which, although include some terrific reads, it was nice to get a dose of reality.

Frankly, I felt like this book was one very long, very well written, introduction to the upcoming Part 2 of the Sykosa series. Not a bad thing, by the way. I never once lost interest, although I was very much left wanting for more…knowing that I am going to get it in Part 2.

Sykosa revolves around 3 characters in particular – Sykosa, our protagonist who is a virgin, carrying the scars of an event from her past; Niko, Sykosa’s BFF and a woman with enough attitude for a lifetime of teen angst; and then there’s Tom, Sykosa’s boyfriend, his only goal in life is that of any teenage boy, to get into Sykosa’s pants, but then his participation in that horrific past event that changed lives forever just might make that difficult. Mr. Ordoñez masterfully strings us along, telling us about this mysterious and dramatic event of a year prior in dribs and drabs – never telling us the outcome, let alone what really happened. No doubt all will be revealed in Part 2. I just wish I didn’t have to wait that long!

Read this book! You will LOVE it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sykosa.