Steffi 's Reviews > Knight

Knight by Kristen Ashley

3992020
Apr 13, 12

bookshelves: bad-boy-hero, anti-hero, mixed-feelings, mysterious-hero, unconventional-hero, dark, erotic-romance
Read from April 08 to 10, 2012

Also reviewed at: Swept Away By Romance

I’m very torn about this book. Knight had me up at nights, totally enthralled and at the same time frustrated. I loved it, and then I hated it. I don’t know how many discussions I had about this book with friends but weirdly also with myself (not out loud, mind you, but in my head). For me, Knight is like glue that just keeps sticking to me even though I try to get it off. While that does speak for a really good book with a well told story, there were too many things that bothered me to fully embrace it.

I’m not going to go on about the plot because frankly, there isn’t much to tell. Girl with wacky friends meets a mysterious guy she gets involved with. She has doubts, they fight a bit, have lots of sex, trust issues get solved, happy end. While the plot of Knight is very simple, Kristen Ashley added a very complex dimension through her characters. Knight is mysterious but we get the feeling that he isn’t a good guy from the start. There’s just something about him that screams dangerous territory. I feel that Knight is really what this book is all about. In the story Anya has to accept him the way he is in order to be with him but as the reader, we kind of have to do the same thing. If you can accept Knight and his dark side, then you’re probably going to love this book. While I was intrigued by Knight at first, he didn’t win me over and that’s the reason for my 3 star rating.

I don’t want to give too much of the book away. I don’t want to rob you of anything but in order to explain my problems I have to go into detail a little bit. I don’t care if you call it BDSM, S&M, bondage, light bondage, Dom/Sub, or whatever you can come up with, those are just terms and don’t define the book. The fact is that Knight is into control. In the bedroom that is totally fine with me but, for my liking, he overdoes it. He tells Anya not to dance, she doesn’t dance. He doesn’t want her to have a few drinks, she switches to water. Really?? This is not taking care of someone, or having their back, that is freakishly controlling and I don’t like it. Simple as that. I found it annoying and I felt insulted on Anya’s behalf. I got angry for her, when she should have been, but wasn’t.

While there is an explanation for Knight’s behavior, it shouldn’t have been an excuse. Anyway, Anya doesn’t care, so I thought, I’m not going to judge and just keep reading. There were a few bumps along the road (view spoiler) but the book was growing on me…until the end, when Anya finds out about Knight’s little side business. I’m not saying that the business itself is a problem for me, because it isn’t. Some women find themselves in situations we can’t imagine and it’s better they have a safe way of doing that. That said, I don’t want my hero to be (view spoiler). What most irked me is that Knight almost portrays himself as a Samaritan, as if he does it out of the goodness of his heart. That’s how I perceived it and it bothered me a lot.
He might not be a cruel man but Knight is just too dark and too bad for me. I couldn’t stand how Anya follows him like a dog instead of standing up for herself, because Knight would break it off if she did. He likes control, remember?

That said, I still love Kristen Ashley. I am a die-hard fan and I actually love her more for this book. Why, you ask? Because she writes what she writes and you either get her or you don’t. At the same time, she writes a variety of genres and types of books. There’s something for everyone! Her style is what kept me reading and not just dropping the book. Her writing is unique and exceptional and I always enjoy it, even though I might not be in tune with the content.

Last but not least, I quickly want to mention Kristen’s Author’s Note. In the Author’s Note of Knight, she talks about the beauty in everyone and how we are all special in our own way.
This is my favorite part:
“Embrace yourself, even your faults, and understand you have something to contribute and more, people want it, love it, crave it. […]Just as every woman should feel beautiful and worthwhile, she should feel desirable and explore her sexuality with a partner who makes this safe and protects her and their relationship along the way”

This made me appreciate the book and the message Kristen Ashley wanted to send, even though the story didn’t suit me personally.

I had problems with Knight but I still recommend it. I find that it’s a very personal book and everyone has their own opinion on it. It is just a matter of what’s working for you, so read it and I’ll be looking forward to hear what you think!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knight.

04/09/2012
04/09/2012
92.0% "Apparently Knight is a Daddy in more ways than expected. I love Kristen Ashley, her books are amazing, but this one is definitely so not for me. So many things are bugging me; not working at all." 8 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslie WONDERFUL review, Steffi! You explained very nicely the situations you liked and didn't in this book and I appreciated your complete honesty! :)

Steffi Leslie wrote: "WONDERFUL review, Steffi! You explained very nicely the situations you liked and didn't in this book and I appreciated your complete honesty! :)"

Thanks, Leslie. I wanted to be a bit more specific than usual because it isn't a bad book and I don't want anyone to disregard it before trying it out.

Melanie Wow - great review Steffi!

Karla I know you are my blog partner, BUT...this is the BEST review I have read on this book. Fair and honest, you express your feelings, but still give the characters, the story and the author credit where it is due.

"even though the story didn’t suit me personally" "I had problems with Knight but I still recommend it"

You reviewed, you didn't judge and I believe that Kristen Ashley would appreciate that, I know I do.

Leslie Karla wrote: "I know you are my blog partner, BUT...this is the BEST review I have read on this book. Fair and honest, you express your feelings, but still give the characters, the story and the author credit wh..."
I completely agree, Karla! It was outstanding!

Mareli Steffi you did great but I don't feel so attracted by that book.

It's not the BDSM theme I find disturbing (I read a lot of books about it and I really liked some of them) but I have to put a firm stop to total control. Not my cup of tea. I read a BDSM themed book with the heroine giving total control of her life to the hero. Bleah! I couldn't finish it, it made me sick.
Not to mention I find that kind of job horrible. (view spoiler)

I feel a bit sad because Kristen Ashley books really make me feel good. I love her uber-alpha men. Upber-alpa but full of respect, though.

We'll see. Right now, this book is very far in my TBR list! LOL

Leslie I prefer reviewers not to "bash" authors, (same with myself), but give their honest opinion about a book...and that's pretty much fair-game. Steffi did both and like you, I appreciated it, a lot!!

Leslie Question to all of you: is it me, or is Kristen jumping on the 50 Shades theme bandwagon?? I love her books, but is this just a case of trying too hard??

Karla No, I don't think so Leslie. She said in a blog post a while ago that she wanted to tackle the "bad-boy" theme, one that remains true to himself. Someone who you want to dislike, but could end up loving. From what I've read in the reviews, I haven't read the book, she seems to have accomplished what she set out to do. You either love Knight or you hate him.

Leslie Yes, I hear you, Karla. I was just wondering since we all know she can crank out books pretty quickly...hense why I asked. Although, you're probably right..but I just HAD to ask!! Thanks!! ;)

HeatherJay Fantastic review, Steffi!!!!

Steffi Thanks everyone! I'm having a bad day and you really cheered me up:)

@Karla: I think you just summed the book up in one sentence You either love Knight or you hate him:)That's it exactly!!

@Mareli: I think you're a bit like me on the subject. I don't mind control plays in the bedroom but out of it they should be equal partners. That's really what bothered me. At the same time, you can't read Knight with any expectations or pre-made judgments. You just have to go for it and see where it takes you. I get that you're putting other books first, though:)

KatLynne Super fantastic review Steffi! You so eloquently put many of my feelings into words!

Leslie KatLynne wrote: "Super fantastic review Steffi! You so eloquently put many of my feelings into words!"

Steffi, you should be having a great day now...your review really was the BEST one I've read so far! Well done, my friend! :)

Mareli Steffi, you have to admit, we're working hard to cheer up your day! LOL

Steffi Thank you, KatLynne! I loved your review too, so it's nice to hear from you:)

Thank you to everyone who commented. You've made me smile and I needed to smile very badly! Thanks

Anne OK Steffi, this is a fabulous review! You spoke to every point so faultlessly. I loving reading all the different reviews because there are so many different perspectives and points to ponder over and over again. One thing is for sure and I think we all agree on, Kristen Ashley is a great storyteller.

message 18: by Steffi (last edited Apr 13, 2012 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steffi Thanks, Anne. I keep saying that Knight is kind of an adventure. You just have to give it a try. Even if someone doesn't like controling heroes, they could still love this books. It's hard to describe and it's definitely very unique.

I read your review, as well, and it seems like we have the same problems. The 'daddy' kind of sealed the deal on me not liking this book very much. I could not get over that at all. I know KA is known for her nicknaming but that was....I don't know... all kinds of icky!

Still, I love her:)

Mareli The 'Daddy' factor is very disturbing for me, too! Ick!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wonderful review, Steffi! I loved the author's note too!

Steffi Baba wrote: "Wonderful review, Steffi! I loved the author's note too!"

Thanks, Baba:)

I need another KA fix so badly. I will give the Rock chick series another try (didn't love the first one). I wish Motorcycle Man would be out already. May is too far away still...

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Steffi wrote: "Baba wrote: "Wonderful review, Steffi! I loved the author's note too!"

Thanks, Baba:)

Yeah, I can't wait to read Tack's story too!

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jill Wonderful review, Steffi! We have a lot of thoughts in common about this. And yes, also about looking forward to MM.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Steffi. You express your feeling perfectly and graciously. I appreciated the honesty but mostly the courtesy you showed to the readers, but also to the author by expressing politely what did work for you and what did not work for you and the reasons why.

Steffi Thank you, Kristen. That's what I was hoping to achieve.

Amelia I'm 75% in the book and I'm not sure if I want to finish it cos I'm not liking it so far for all the reasons you've stated above. I don't get Anya AT ALL! In the end, I may just finish the book because it is KA after all...

Steffi It was the same for me, Amelia. I wanted to put it aside so often but in the end I still wanted to know how Knight and Anya got their happy end. I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion after you've finished. Maybe you'll have a total change of heart and you'll like it after all:)

Duchess Nicole Fabulous review! I agree with every point you made, only you said it so much better, lol! I really wanted to love this, but I just couldn't. Im interested to see what your thoughts are if you continue the series.

Steffi Duchess Nicole wrote: "Fabulous review! I agree with every point you made, only you said it so much better, lol! I really wanted to love this, but I just couldn't. Im interested to see what your thoughts are if you co..."

Thank you so much. I will definitely continue with the series. I'm looking forward to what Kristen Ashley comes up with next. As long as the next hero doesn't have "a stable of women", I should be fine:)