Jennifer's Reviews > What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

F_50x66
Jul 16, 14

Read in September, 2008

9/25/08
If you are a runner, this book is for you! Everything Murakami philosophizes about running I totally agree with- his runners log and experiences are really fun to read and I found myself nodding and thinking "yes!" and "me, too!" throughout the book. He also discusses his life as a novelist and talks about writing, which was interesting. But of course I identified with his running and how it affects his life, his race experiences, his training, etc.........it was fascinating getting into the head of another runner and I was very relieved to hear that he worries about the exact same things I do.
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!
Even better to read it during training season......

7/16/14
This is my second reading and loved it maybe even more than the first time around.
Haruki Murakami has a very similar personality to my own; we have lots of the same thoughts and observations so I felt his words close to my own heart. His themes of running, writing novels, and aging are honest and contemplative. The word “contemplative” accurately describes how I felt throughout reading this book and well after. This is definitely a book that sticks with me, especially when going on long runs or during training.
Even though I am not a writer myself, I still enjoyed reading his thoughts on his career. Of course I mostly loved reading about his running experiences and how he lives his runner’s lifestyle, but his observations on aging (he wrote this book at age 56, I believe) really hit home, as well, especially since I myself am looking at 40 very soon. So it’s interesting to read how he has noticed his body changing in regards to running and getting older.
I love this book and will probably read it for a third time in a few more years if not sooner. Again, great motivation for anyone in training or any athlete who needs some friendly advice or sympathy- we all get frustrated in our sports and it is comforting to hear a fellow talk about his highs and lows!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

07/11 marked as: currently-reading