Samantha's Reviews > Zombie Island

Zombie Island by Lori Handeland

Apr 06, 12

Read in April, 2012

I guess this series just... isn't for me. I absolutely hated the writing in the first book, which I only read because I received an ARC of this one. I had higher hopes for the sequel, but I'm still not just loving it. I think what annoys me is all the incessant relations to Shakespeare's works. It makes the books seem less creative to me. I feel like this could've been a really, really funny idea and Handeland just didn't quite make it work for me. I honestly didn't even finish it, I just got too bored.

So not to say this book is just awful, but I just can't get into it. I don't like reading books I can actually stop and go to sleep without thinking about. I'm not anxiously awaiting another one, and I probably won't read any more of it. But I can see it being the type of book my mom would read - she hates reading good books because she wakes up in the middle of the night and just HAS to read more. Definitely seems like an airplane/beach read, one you don't particularly need to pay attention to.

I guess I should also point out that I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan. I mean, Romeo and Juliet, classical, I do like it, but Poe/Shakespeare were never my favorite units in English. I'm much more of a Conan Doyle fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Island.