Lanni's Reviews > Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1

Avatar by Gene Luen Yang

F_50x66
Apr 06, 12

Read in March, 2012

The great thing about this book is also the worst thing about this book. The characterization. Sokka's quips about 'oogies' and general obnoxious-ness are perfectly in character. Toph's rather rude nicknames for her students are perfectly Toph. Even Ty Lee's facial expressions (in the two panels she appears in) are perfect, and somehow Aang and Katara calling each other 'sweetie' seems like exactly the thing they would do. But Aang's agreement with Zuko (a major plot point) is so out of character that it ruined the book for me. If Aang refused to kill Ozai, an evil, evil man who had caused so much destruction and pain and death, then he would never even consider killing one of his friends, no matter how evil that friend became. *spoiler alert* Zuko going to his father for advice at the end of the book was also glaringly out of character. I know that his character struggled with doing the right thing throughout the series, and I know that he often relapsed into being the bad guy, but by the end of the TV series, he had gotten past that, and to send him to Ozai for advice instead of Uncle Iroh cheapens his character development. Overall, The Promise is a fun, quick read, but if you're as attached to the characters as I am, it'll probably be a disappointment to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avatar.