Rugiatu's Reviews > The Skin I'm In

F_50x66
Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading
Read from April 06 to 21, 2012

The book i am reading right now is "The Skin I'm In" by Sharon G. Flake.Flake who have won the coretta Scott king/john steptoe award for new talent.Book written in 1998 and published by jump at the sun Hyperion paperbacks in New York city.Editor Andrea Davis Pinkney.Flake wrote the book in honor of her daughter.Bullying at school can be a terrible experience, and yet sometimes it can be quite hard to see the reason for the bullying.The skin i'm in focus on kids bullying kids in school.Why, for instance, would a black boy tease a black girl about being black?

The main character in the book are Maleeka Madison a thirteen year old that hate to be in her own skin.John-John McIntyre is the smallest seventh grader in the world who live to make maleeka life hard.Charlese and her gang the toughest girls in the whole school.She become friend so protect herself.Caleb the only boy that did see
maleeka out of her skin and saw her for something beautiful.

Maleeka Madison a Thirteen-year old is tall, skinny, and dark-skinned. That's a problem for her, because it's such a problem for everyone else at school, it seems.so she become friend with the toughest girl in school.As a way to make her life easier but it seem that bullies force you to pay more than you’d like, so life for Maleeka just gets harder, until she learns to stand up for herself and love the skin she's in.So when John-John ruined it for Maleeka and Caleb, Maleeka was left with no-one on her side. Maybe it wasn't a very clever move, but Maleeka teamed up with Charlese and her gang, out of self-protection. That didn't improve things much, but it was better than nothing. Until Charlese decided to see how far she could push Maleeka.

I think this book relates to black girls who sre getting teased and teated worng. It makes you think about other ppl who are being teased or bullied."THE SKIN I'M IN" is a very nice,sad intresting book because not everybody has to be perfect atucally no body is perfect.There are flaws on everybody; even you. When other people tease and bully other kids it's usually because of how they look, I disagree in that action and I'd do anything in the world to make racist people stop. Just because the color of their skin, or the nationality they are...they shouldn't be treated any differently.

This is one of those stories where you can see things going from bad to worse in front of your very eyes. Maleeka is in a difficult situation and there doesn't seem to be anyone she can turn to. She makes some pretty bad mistakes before she finally realises that the new English teacher, the outspoken Miss Saunders, really is on her side.The skin am i is a book that take your breath away.I think you will really enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Skin I'm In.