Lisa (scarlet21)'s Reviews > The Longest Journey

The Longest Journey by E.M. Forster

Apr 06, 12

Read on April 06, 2012

Loved this novel. Convention and philosophy meet nature and spirituality. What is the right way to live and what the wrong? Can anyone ever tell us how to live our life?

Born into a tragic life, crippled by a hereditary condition, Rickie finds good company at Cambridge though always unsure of himself and his destiny. Guided too much by too little he falls, in the guise of love, into the manipulative clutches of Agnes and her brother and thence into the twisted manoeuvrings of his aunt. Once in the possession of a sordid family secret and manipulated by all around him, Rickie becomes just a pawn in life, until the intervention of an old friend makes him once again see clearly.

Beautifully written and interesting, E. M. Forster introduces us to a world of conventions and fakery just waiting to be spoiled. He takes us from the picture of respectability and politeness and shows us the rotteness beneath. It's a story of class and snobbishness, of love and philosophy, perhaps a warning to constantly be questioning and never just accepting.

I love E.m Forster's work and the style of his writing which draws you gently, gently in to a story that is far from gentle or benign.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longest Journey.