Michael Smith's Reviews > The Lying Game

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

M_50x66
Apr 06, 12

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard is a mystery that portrays the life of Emma Becker who grew up to be a foster child. After an interesting turn of events, she finds a Facebook profile with a picture of herself on it. Little did she know, that would be her twin sister. Sutton Mercer lives the life of wealth and glamour in Phoenix, Arizona. Emma went on a hunt in searching for her sister. However, after receiving texts from her sister saying come to Arizona, she realizes that she had been played and that she is being told to take over Suttons life. Emma discovered that Sutton, her twin has indeed been murdered. The killer has not been revealed. She resumes Suttons glamorous life in search of the killer. Emma has some trouble adjusting to a totally parallel life but does it. She finds out that her sister had done a series of dangerous games that could very well provoke murder. The game was called the Lying Game. She thinks that she is in the ultimate Lying Game.

If you ask me to compare this book to another, I would say the Pretty Little Liars series. Coincidently, it is by the same author. They are both very modern and easy to read. In comparison with the television show, I enjoy the book much better because the book offers a totally different plot and is much more suspenseful. The thing I enjoy most is in The Lying Game everyone is a suspect and you don’t know who the killer is. You will really be leaning towards someone being the killer and then you see that there may be another killer. Emma stated that everyone has a motive to be Sutton's killer.

The book switches between two different points of views, Emma’s point of view, and Sutton’s point of view. You may say, how is that possible? Sutton’s ghost is overlooking the whole thing putting the pieces together herself. She has no recognition of how she died. I personally like that because not only is it suspenseful when something happens for Emma, but it gives more clues as to how Sutton has been murdered.

Overall, I thought the book was very suspenseful. Reading this really opened another door to a whole different genre of books, mystery. I really hope to read more books like this. When reading this, you almost get the feeling that Sutton is against Emma. The killer could be anyone. Shepard’s writing style is very easy to read and I would recommend this book to anyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lying Game.