Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Wuthering High

Wuthering High by Cara Lockwood

May 14, 12

bookshelves: owned, urban-fantasy, young-adult
Read from May 11 to 13, 2012

I enjoyed reading this book, particularly the first half. Miranda is an engaging character and I enjoyed seeing her adapt to her new school, Bard Academy. Miranda has an eye for fashion and enjoys helping people find their individual look. She's very open-handed with this talent and you can see that she is used to getting along with everybody as a result. She's a fundamentally kind person and I enjoyed spending time with her. Indeed, I'd almost have rather read the story of her staying at her current school and see how things play out there.

Not that Bard Academy isn't a fun premise. A school run by ghosts and where literature has a profound effect on more than the classes is ripe for exploration. Lockwood clearly loves literature and peppers the scenery with hints and allusions that were fun to pick up on and not tragic when I didn't.

My biggest beef with the novel is the inclusion of a character named Heathcliff who seems determined to fill the role of the character of the same name from Wuthering Heights. I don't know who started the notion that Wuthering Heights is a romantic story but I'd like to have a few words with them. It's been near 20 years since I read the book but my distaste for Heathcliff hasn't diminished at all. To link Heathcliff and Catherine with "love" is to sully the concept.

Heathcliff's involvement in this book is mostly tangential, though, so I'll resist the urge to dock Wuthering High for his inclusion. Reading descriptions ahead, though, I can see that Lockwood is apparently a team Heathcliff player so I won't be picking up the sequels. Sad, really, but I can't stomach the whole "he's just misunderstood" thing with a man that wholly selfish.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering High.

05/12/2012 page 66