Hillary's Reviews > Shine

Shine by Lauren Myracle

Apr 08, 12

bookshelves: glbtq
Read from April 06 to 08, 2012

This book seemed promising for the first fifty pages or so, but as it progressed, I started anticipating the gist of the mystery. I still felt compelled to finish it, but not without being disappointed. And the ending certainly did disappoint. I don't see what the book accomplishes, aside from persuading the Cat character to start interacting with other people again. Too bad the catalyst was a violent act. It's frustrating to read something in which varieties of homophobia comprise the major themes, and yet no sort of homophobia is dealt with in a meaningful way at all. Most of what I imagined was important felt glossed over in favor of this parade of characters being introduced, all of whom Cat was close to at some point (how can one be so close to so many people at once?), with some of them feeling like little more than plot devices. Aside from the ending, the most bewildering thing to me was Cat's (and presumably the author's) willingness to forgive Cat's aunt. That lady is a sociopath or something or other--that's what I got from this experience. She approached being as frightening as the murderer around whom the story is supposed to revolve. The fact that Myracle left us with the feeling that things were ok with the aunt was disturbing to me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shine.