Lisa's Reviews > You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations

You're Not Doing It Right by Michael Ian Black

Apr 06, 12

Read in April, 2012

I knew this book was going to be funny when I started reading it. I've always loved Michael Ian Black's take on things. This book is certainly laugh out loud funny. What surprised me was how absolutely honest and unflinching some of his tales of marriage and parenthood were. Yes, he keeps it funny, but he also keeps it *completely* real. The extent to which he was willing to lay it all on the table for his reader--the good, the bad, and the ugly-- was surprising to me. It took what could have been a funny book that makes you laugh and then you forget about it a day after you've read it, and elevated it to something much more meaningful. I found my self tearing up and actually crying more than once when he's talking about his relationship with his father, his own feelings about fatherhood, and his wife. It's not often that you find a book that makes laugh so hard you scare the dog and then 2 minutes later moves you to tears.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You're Not Doing It Right.